Stay Connected


Subscribe by Email

Scots play in 3 OT thriller

February 17, 2017

The Fighting Scots had a busy week playing three games all away. They started off the week last Wednesday with a 73-62 loss to Cornell College followed by another loss to Lawrence University. The Scots would then lose a crazy triple overtime game at Illinois College 122-118.

On Wednesday Will Jones was the high scorer for the Scots, scoring 22 points and knocking down three three’s in 37 minutes of game time. It was a back and forth battle early and throughout the first half. Both teams switched back and forth with the lead. Monmouth’s biggest lead of the first half would be 2 points and they would head into halftime down three points.

The second half was much of the same until Cornell went on an 8-0 run with just six minutes left in the game. Monmouth would go down by 15 with little time left in the game. The Scots tried to fight back with some threes and free throws but it wasn’t enough for them to overcome the deficit.

The Scots then traveled to Lawrence Friday afternoon losing a close one by three. Lamont Mitchell and Justin Aluya led the way for the Scots. Mitchell finished with 21 and Aluya with 20. Monmouth trailed for almost the entire 1st half and found themselves down by eleven points late in the half. Lamont Mitchell would knock down a three right before half bring the deficit to just 8 points.

Lawrence would get off to a hot start to the second half pushing their lead to 15 points just a minute into the half. The Scots would fight though and Jon Matthews would narrow Lawrence’s lead to just 7 points with 15 minutes to go in the game. Monmouth would get within one point of their opponent and then tie it up with a free throw by Justin Aluya. The teams would battle back and forth the remainder of the game but in the end the Scots would come up just short surrendering another loss.

The Scots final match-up of the week against Illinois College went into triple overtime. There were some terrific individual performances on Saturday, as Lamont Mitchell would add 37 points to the game. Will Jones would post 33 points along with 10 rebounds. Jones also played and exhausting 49 minutes in the game.

The Scots would lead most of the first half, their biggest lead 6 points with just 6 minutes left in the half. Illinois College would keep in close and the Scots would go into halftime with just a one-point lead.

Illinois College would come out firing in the second half grabbing a seven-point lead early on. Monmouth didn’t let the game get away from them though and they would regain the lead with thirteen minutes to go in the game. The two teams would keep it close throughout the rest of the game. The Scots found themselves down three points late in the game and Lamont Mitchell came up with a huge three point basket with just 5 seconds to go in the game, sending it into overtime.

Towards the end of the first overtime Monmouth found themselves down 3 points again and this time Will Jones would hit a three at the buzzer to send the game into double overtime. The second overtime was a little different as both teams were tied at 110 with over a minute to go. Neither team would surrender a point, sending the game into a third overtime. With the help of a handful of free throws at the end of the third overtime, Illinois College would seal the deal and win a thrilling three overtime game over the Fighting Scots.

Luke Long
Contributing Writer

Be Sociable, Share!