Stay Connected


Subscribe by Email

Lacrosse teams celebrate seniors

April 28, 2017

On Saturday, April 22nd there was more than lacrosse in play. There were a lot of mixed emotions on the field that afternoon. Some teary eyes and supportive cries as Monmouth College’s Women’s Lacrosse team celebrated in what would be their senior’s, Ashley Castellanos, Jordain Johnson, and Jessica Simmons last home game together. The Women’s Lacrosse team went up against Loras College.

When asked about her thoughts on the special day, senior Jordain Johnson said, “I am incredibly blessed to have been able to join this team. It has brought me so much happiness in my last semester here at MC. Senior Day was awesome and I am just glad that I have an awesome team and coaches. This season has taught me to go outside my comfort zone and try something new.”

With similar thoughts, senior Ashley Castellanos said, “I personally was so pleased and so excited for our senior game! There are so many sports on campus nowadays that don’t recognize the out-going seniors and their time on the team. I think that it really was a special day for the three of us and that it’s a day that I’ll always remember because I had such a great team behind me always.”

Coach Demara thoughts were on the matter were also positive, stating, “I thought Senior Day went well, and was happy with how the team showed their appreciation for the seniors and the hard work they put into our first year.”

The Fighting Scots eventually lost 20-12 in a competitive game that day, however, the team never despaired for the future. They are still fighting and working hard to prepare for next season. As Monmouth College’s Women’s Lacrosse season come to an end, there is more than just leaving the field behind.

Men’s lacrosse capped off their own Senior Day with a win on Friday. Thanks to great defense and a five goal day from freshman Taitum Priewe the Scots were able to pull away from Fontbonne University in the second half.

Priewe netted the first goal of the game with 3:31 left in the first quarter and then scored again in the final minute of the quarter. Thomas Van Alstine would build on Monmouth’s 2-1 lead with a goal of his own in the second quarter. Fontbonne would cut the lead to one before Priewe scored his third goal of the half to give the Scots a 4-2 advantage at the break.

Fontbonne scored early on in the third quarter, but Monmouth would net three straight goals to take a 7-3 lead with a little over nine minutes left in the game. Each team would score once more and Monmouth would come away with a 8-4 win.

Vicky Cao | Cooper Pauley
Contributing Writer | Sports Editor

Be Sociable, Share!