Stay Connected


Subscribe by Email

Baseball splits doubleheader

April 6, 2018

Lily Guillen / The Courier

On Saturday, March 31, the Fighting Scots baseball team split a doubleheader against Knox College, winning the first game 10-4 before dropping the second 7-5.

The Prairie Fire put a run on the board in the top of the first inning. With a runner on second and two outs, Tristan Hannah knocked a single into centerfield to bring the run across home plate. That run was all the damage Knox would do in their first attempt at bat.

In the bottom half of the first inning, the Scots seized the momentum off of poor fielding by Knox. With runners on first and third, Tristan Hannah committed an error at first base. The error, with two outs, allowed Grant Myers to reach first safely and Bryson Sheppard to cross home plate for the tying run. In the next at-bat, Harry Sanchez hit a double to drive in the go ahead runs putting the Scots up 3-1 after the first.

After four and a half innings of scoreless play, Monmouth strung together a three-run inning. With two outs, Myers would single, followed by Sanchez reaching first base on another Knox error. A single by Cameron Kellar scored Myers with an ensuing single by Tyler Ulfig driving home the remaining two baserunners to go up 6-1.

The Scots and Prairie Fire tacked on a few more runs apiece before the end of the game. Starting Pitcher Ryan Schulz tossed seven innings for the Scots, surrendering two runs while striking out four.

The second contest of the doubleheader proved to be the better of the two games. In the bottom of the first inning with the bases loaded, a wild pitch by Prairie Fire Pitcher Stryker Davies put the Scots up 1-0. Knox escaped the inning only surrendering one run.

Knox tacked on runs in the top of the third and fifth innings. In the third, Dalton James singled, driving in Adam Brown from second base. The fifth inning saw Paul Sanders single, scoring Andrew Recker from third putting the Prairie Fire up 2-1.

The lead vanished quickly as in the bottom of the fifth, singles by Sheppard and Myers with runners in scoring position put the Scots back on top 3-2.

Knox answered with a pair of runs in the top of the sixth to regain the lead. With the bases loaded, Kobe Shutter notched a single to bring home the tying run. In the next at-bat, Brendan Powers crossed home plate after a wild pitch by Connor McDonald to reclaim the lead at 4-3.

Monmouth ripped off two more runs in the bottom of the sixth to steal the lead back. Ricky Uriostegui drove a ball into the outfield for an RBI double tying the game up at four each. Later in the inning with Christian Lett on third base, Matt Temaner hit a sacrifice fly reclaiming the lead for the Scots 5-4.

In the top of the eighth with the bases loaded and one out, Prairie Fire’s Juston Woodard hit a single to tie the game at five. Then, in the top of the ninth with the bases once again loaded, Shutter singled to put Knox back in the lead. A wild pitch by Josh Fuchs gave the Prairie Fire an insurance run to push the lead to two. The late lead change would prove too much for the Scots to overcome.

After the weekend double-header, Monmouth improved to 3-1 in conference play. The Scots will next face off against University of the Ozarks on Saturday, April 7th for a doubleheader at Glasgow Field.

Tate Heiple
Contributing Writer

Be Sociable, Share!