Stay Connected


Subscribe by Email

Water Polo dominates Utica in finale

April 20, 2018

This past weekend the women’s water polo was back in action for the final time this season. The Fighting Scots competed in the CWPA Division III conference tournament, posting two losses during the first day but coming back and winning their final game of the season.

On Saturday, the Scots began their tournament against Washington and Jefferson College. Both defenses were locked in from the beginning and neither team scored in the first quarter.

Monmouth broke through first with 6:54 to play in the second quarter, but the Presidents would strike back quickly to tie the game. At the end of the half, Monmouth would hold a 3-2 lead.

The second half saw four ties and four lead changes before Washington and Jefferson snuck out with a nailbiting 8-6 win. Becca Dabrowski would lead the Scots with three goals.

The Scots’ second contest of the day came against Penn State Behrend. The Nittany Lion’s would take an early 2-0 lead, but Monmouth would score two straight goals to end the first quarter. Senior Rachel Unger would score a goal in the second quarter, but Penn State Behrend would take a 3-2 lead into halftime.

For the second straight game, it was back and forth in the second half. The Nittany Lions would distance themselves with less than five minutes to go in the game, leading 8-6. The Fighting Scots would cut the deficit to one, but Penn State Behrend would increase the lead again. Monmouth would lose another close one 8-9.

Monmouth’s final game of the season came against Utica College, where the Scots absolutely dominated. They racked up eight first-half goals, taking an 8-3 lead into the break.

The Scots commanding play continued in the second half. They didn’t allow one goal in the final two quarters and won their final game of the season 15-3. Three Scots would post multiple goals as Monmouth ended their season with a 7-9 record.

Cooper Pauley
Sports Editor

Be Sociable, Share!